The mother of all breaches (MOAB). That’s how security experts are referring to the recent discovery of a massive database that is composed of data from thousands of previous breaches, leaks, and private data databases.
“But why should I care? How does it impact me?”
The breach includes over 26 billion records. That’s staggering. And that means if any of your accounts are included (or if you reuse passwords anywhere), you need to take action in order to protect yourself and your family.
Here’s the TL;DR.
What to do if you’ve been breached
Anyone that has an account with these sites, or has reused passwords associated with these sites, should take action immediately. That means resetting passwords and updating login information wherever necessary to protect yourself. If you have a family, don’t forget to check and update any of their passwords as well.
Long term, there are a few things you can do to help prevent this from happening to you in the future. You can:
- Secure you and your household as soon as possible by using a password manager to make it easy to create and manage unique, strong passwords for your accounts.
- 1Password user? Check Watchtower. 1Password’s Watchtower feature will provide alerts and notifications if any of your accounts have been included in major breaches or leaks. It’s a great starting point for updating any accounts that have been compromised.
- Use passkeys that use biometrics (like your thumbprint or facial recognition) wherever possible to bypass having to use passwords.
How 1Password can help
The breadth and scale of breaches today makes it all but inevitable that some of your credentials will eventually be compromised. Not even the most sophisticated companies in the world are immune to this.
1Password can help you get a handle on all of your passwords, while also greatly simplifying the hassle of managing them. With 1Password, you can:
- Ensure your entire household is using strong and unique passwords across their accounts (or at least give them no excuse not to).
- Simplify management of your digital life with a single, safe place to store and manage all of your digital credentials, across all of your devices.
- Have confidence that your data is protected by the same solution that’s trusted by millions of customers and over 100,000 businesses.
Password management is a great example of “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” While it may seem like a lot to get it under control, it is still significantly easier to manage than having your identity be compromised.
You can get started with 1Password today.
Get peace of mind with 1Password Families
Use 1Password Families to protect your online accounts and share important passwords with the people you trust and care about.
Get peace of mind with 1Password Individual
Keep all of your accounts, documents, and credit cards secure with 1Password, the world’s most-trusted password manager.